Thursday 17 March 2011

Almost halfway:Week 18 - 19

Had an appointment with the Consultant this week - there was lots of teeth sucking, "Ooo you had pre-eclampsia...and 4 attempts at induction....and...." enough! I forgot about then birth after about a week of sleepless nights, then I was just dumb and happy - yes, very happy, I had a healthy baby which was the aim of the whole giving birth thingy. Anyway, I am relieved that I am been given the option of a natural birth this time - although the odds are that in the end I may have to have another C-section. Besides as I am over 40 the stats are against me and they will not let me go beyond term.

I loved the myth based gender predictor I told you about last time made me think what other old wives tales effect our pregnancy. What do we believe but is not backed up science? Science certainly changes, when I was pregnant with the Pickle peanuts were forbidden, but now provided we have no family allergy history we can eat peanuts to our hearts content. As for theories of child rearing - there is an informed decision to fit your persuasion.

Have you started to read up on what to expect when bump becomes a baby? So which  book to read? I linked to an earlier blog where I chat about the some of the books I read. It is so funny that books can polarise parents, some books go advocate strict routine, some seem to offer more hazy advice. Allegiances seem to be made over parenting styles - the controlled crying disciples drift away the continuum parents. Well, vive la difference! There is a book out there that will reinforce your natural prejudice so just keep searching until you find an approach that makes sense to you. Just don't get carried away, your way is not only way and it is not a personal affront if others do not follow your lead.

I have heard that there are no prohibition on eating soft cheeses in France, in America you can't at ham or 'deli meats' and the views on eating spicy food varies dramatically according where in the world you live. Leah Hardy wrote about this back in 2004 in the Times. Then there is local advice that can be confusing, we should be eating at least two portions of oily fish a week - but then no way should be eat more than two portions, we read else where.

In Asian countries the advice is to avoid pineapple - I started to research this more when I starting playing around with recipes for this week. So the advice ranges from avoiding it altogether to avoiding just fresh fruit as canned fruit does not contain the 'dangerous' enzyme. The enzyme is said to relax the uterus in a similar way that semen affects us when we have sex during pregnancy. Hence the myths when we reach our due date we get frisky and eat pineapples.

What do you believe? I would love to hear myths or other nuggets of advice. Do you know what other countries recommend to pregnant Mums?


I'm off to France in a few weeks for a major family celebration - what should I expect? Is it true that they may find the prohibition on eating soft cheeses strange?

No doubt you will have taken advice and have common sense - but as a reference point you may be interested in reading NHS healthy eating advice for pregnant women or Centre for Pregnancy Nutrition at the University of Sheffield

Timeline
Hello Beanie - you have started to be very active kicking away in quiet moments and measure up to 20cm which is even longer than my hand. Beanie now sleeps and wakes at regular times, has got its protective covering (or Vernix Caseosa) and  has started to exercise its lungs and practice breathing techniques in preparation for the outside world.

Like most Mums, I have started to feel really hungry - fortunately it has not struck in the middle of the night. The rice cakes, carrot sticks and hummus have made a reappearance for when the munchies strike - er, and other treats I am not so proud of. When you see the midwife you may want to ask for the current advice on heartburn as it is likely to start from now - I was lucky that it kicked in later with the Pickle and a cup of Horlicks before bed did the trick for me.


What to cook?
This started off as an experiment as  I peppers, pineapple and fish in the fridge and very little else. The recipe was a winner with everybody including the Pickle so I have tweaked it for you. If you have not had your oily fish this week you can replace the white fish with salmon. I hope that you enjoy it, it tastes delicious and is a great way of using up vegetables.
.
Sweet and Sour Fish

Fillet of white fish (or firm tofu)
For the Sauce:
A small onion cut into thin slices
A love of garlic
An inch of ginger, finely grated
1 or 2 tablespoons of honey
1 or 2 tablespoons of malt vinegar
Up to 1 tablespoon of soy sauce
A hearty squirt of tomato puree
A dash of Worcester Sauce
(Chili powder to taste - up to 1 teaspoon)

Rice

Flour and extra sprinkling of chili or cayenne for dusting
A selection of fruit and vegetables that can include:
Pineapple (fresh or canned)
Red peppers
Nectarine
Baby sweet corn
Carrots
Bamboo shoots

First start by preparing the sweet and sour sauce. Saute the onions then add the garlic, the sliced peppers - then add the rest of the ingredients, you can add a little then top up the flavours to taste. Add the rest of the fruit and veg and cook through. If you are cooking for little ones you can leave out the chili until you have served up for the little one (or that is what we did).
Next check that the fillets of fish have no bones in them - cut to individual portion sizes, then dip into the spices flour. Cook in oil / butter over a medium heat for about 5 mins on either side, watch carefully the cooking time will vary with the thickness of the cut. Meanwhile cook up the rice.

No comments: