Tuesday 1 March 2011

I'm getting into this now: Week 16 - 17

I have just spent the weekend with my Mum - she kept on querying why we had told anyone about the pregnancy "so early" (er, 14 weeks?)   and every time the phone went she seemed to take great relish in repeating how a friend of hers had gone on an emergency mission to help a daughter who had suffered a bad miscarriage. Well, she does mean well (honestly) - even so, I am delighted that to counter this I am starting to regain my energy and really enjoy the pregnancy; I could rebuff her gloom knowing that at this stage the chance of miscarriage has dropped to just 3%. It is not as if I have not been excited by the pregnancy thus far, but I have been so exhausted that I have just been focusing on just getting by.

I had my next midwife's appointment and all is going well and even the midwife had no suggestions on how to regain my energy - then suddenly it was back of its own accord. It was great to hear Beanie's heartbeat, so I am slightly regretting my decision to turn down a free second hand foetal heart monitor, even if the NHS recommends against them.

I have also bought some maternity jeans, when I was pregnant with the Pickle I did not show till later so my only maternity clothes are cool linen outfits which are not much use. Also, I rediscovered the bliss of a well fitting maternity bra - underwires are not recommended for us pregnant ladies.

What do you call your bump? The Pickle was called Twinkle until she was born (at the 7 week scan her heart beat looked like a twinkling star) and now I am carrying a 'Beanie'. We have a friend who called their little girl Pip after the Bump name - but I promise we are working on an alternative to Beanie for our baby. Are you going to find if you are expecting a girl or a boy? I found this site that offers a hysterical Gender Predictor that seems to amalgamate every known old wives' tale.


Timeline - What Beanie and I are up to...
Beanie is now around 16cm long - the length of  pen - and body is growing bigger so that it looks more in proportion with the head (so no more looking like an alien). The face starts to look more human with hair starting to grow and buds that will form into teeth.

I thought that I felt Beanie a few weeks ago and the concensus is that we start to feel something from about 16 weeks, although some claim sensations earlier and most people from about 18 weeks. We may start to feel hot and sweaty as our metabolisims soaring and start snoring or snuffling as pregnancy can cause nasal congestion or even less glamourous thrush - fortunately my only symptom on this front is a bunged up nose, so pass me the tissues!
Aparently my uterus is rising, which is a posh way of saying I look pregnant now.

What I am Cooking
Now that I have regainned a little energy I am ready to cook, the Hubster loves Asian fusion food so I have been testing out a few recipes that are big on impact but relatively low on effort if you have a hand blender or other kitchen blitzer. I have included both a meat and a vegetarian option - we love both, but not together as that would be too much effort and too much to eat!

 Thai Chicken Cakes (serves 2)
2 chicken thigh fillets
1 crust of bread
----- Vegetarian  ingredients -------
1 egg
About an inch of fresh ginger
A small onion or 2 salad onions
1/2 red chili (or to taste, less or more)
1 desert spoon fish sauce
1/2 lemon grass stalk, or an equivalent squeeze of lazy lemon grass

Start by blitzing the crust of bread on a blender to make bread crumbs, add the lemon grass, garlic, chili and onions and blitz again. Next add the chicken, fish sauce and blitz until the chicken is minced. If you can be  bothered whisk up the egg separately and add slowly so that it does not get too sloppy - you may only require 1/2 an egg. Next shape the small patties about 3cm big, having wet hands makes this SO much easier. Fry for about 3 mins on either side and serve with vegetables and noodles.

Sweetcorn Pancakes (serves 2 - 3)
1 small can of sweetcorn
3/4 mug of self-raising flour (this is preggy food so I don't bother measuring)
A slash of milk
Vegetarian ingredients as above
A small handful of coriander (optional - I don't bother with this)

Blitz all the vegetarian ingredients, including the whole egg. Stir on the flour and the sweetcorn - if the mixture is too solid add a splash of milk, normally about a tablespoon, but this will depend on exactly how much flour you added. With my experimentation I didn't need to be too precise. Heat up some oil in a frying pan, then carefully spoon  a dollop from a full tablespoon directly into the pan. Cook over a medium heat for a few mins on either side.

Noodles with vegetables
This is quick and easy specially for Mums- to- be. It is very loosely based on a recipe from my fave Rick Stein Far Eastern book - but he may decapitate me with a blunt spoon for suggesting that this sluts version has anything to do with his more complicated original.

Egg noodles
Chopped vegetables - bok choi, carrots, peas, sweetcorn (if not making the pancakes)
Dark soy sauce
A desert spoon of tomato ketchup
Sweet chili sauce
Hot chili sauce (optional)

Start by cooking the noodles as per the instructions, ideally steam the vegetables above the pan of noodles but worst case scenario you can always pop the vegetables in with the noodles for the last couple of minutes. Stir in the sauces and mix altogether.

Serve up the noodles and place the pancakes / chicken cakes on top.

Cravings?
Have you been having any cravings? Is there anything that you are yearning for? Let me know and I will see if I can include something especially for you.
Also what are you calling your bump? I'd love to know.
xx

No comments: